Sun Tower Retirement Home Is Comfortable and Relaxing
Comfortable apartments are available in both Studio and One Bedroom units. Furniture and accessories in each apartment are the resident’s own personal belongings, reflecting the personality and the taste of the individual.
Each apartment is designed for maximum comfort with individually controlled electric heat and air conditioning, private bath with safety bars, in house Satellite TV connections, efficiency kitchens with range, under counter refrigerator, carpeting, mini blinds, and ample storage space.
Additionally, all residents enjoy:
Sun Tower’s Main Floor
- The Dining room is located on the main floor and all three daily meals are served in the dining room seven days a week. Some activities are held in the dining room also.
- The main floor has a men’s and ladies restroom.
- The main kitchen is also located on the main floor and is where the meals are prepared by staff.
- There is a coffee shop-meeting area in the Dining Room, which is used by the residents daily.
Sun Tower’s Basement
- Exercise room with bicycles and other equipment.
- Pool Table.
- Laundry Room.
On the 12th Floor
- The Beauty Shop is located on the 12th floor.
- A Treatment Room is on the 12th floor, for blood pressure readings and foot care.
- Two men’s/ladies restrooms.
- A guest room, for out of town visitors of residents.
- An Arts and Crafts/Computer Learning Room.
- A serving kitchen, adjacent to the Large Meeting Room, which is used for meetings, activities, bible study exercise and other events.
- A Solarium area with tables and chairs.
- A walking track around the perimeter of the building.
Retirement Home Services
Sun Tower Residential Program is residence for Senior’s of lower income who are age 62 and over (HUD 202 Program). Because of the nature of the program no medical services beyond blood pressure checks and foot care services are offered. Residents must be fairly self sufficient especially after office hours.
We are conveniently located in downtown Yakima, close to the library, theaters, grocery stores, YM(W)CA, city bus lines, Greyhound Bus Depot, and the Yakima Convention Center giving residents more of a choice of option in Yakima.
- For those driving automobiles there is limited parking available.
- Parking spaces are available on a first come/first serve basis.
- There are four conveniently placed coin operated washers and 5 dryers in the basement of the laundry room and they are available 24 hours a day.
- Telephone services are available in all apartments through Century Link.
Important: Sun Tower Residential Apartments do not include medical services. However, Blood pressure checks are offered monthly and foot care is offered at approximately 6 week intervals by registered nurses.
Planned social activities and recreational equipment including, a pool table, exercise equipment, scheduled weekly programs, and wide selection of reading materials. These are provided in our library for the enjoyment of our residents.
Sun Tower Tenant Selection Policy
Tenants must be 62 years of age or older and under the income set by the department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sun Tower provides it’s services without regard to race, color, sex, creed, disability, or national origin. Maximum income limits to qualify are $23,640 for a single person and $27,000 for a couple.
The policy for tenant assignments is on a first come first serve basis. We have studio apartments and one bedroom apartments. Applicants are allowed to select to be on the studio apartment list or the one bedroom apartment list or both lists.
If there is a vacancy, it is offered to the applicant. If there is no vacancy, the application is placed on our waiting list in the order received. Persons are removed from the waiting list if they accept an apartment on that list or if they withdraw their application, or if they are offered an apartment and indicate they have found other suitable housing and no longer wish to be considered for future vacancies, or they become ineligible under the existing guidelines or are deceased.
Sun Tower Food Service
For Retirement Tenants, the evening meal is mandatory.
- The cost per month is $210.00.
- Retirement Tenants also may choose to eat breakfast or lunch or both at an additional cost of $4.00 per meal.
- Mini meals $1.00
Our Motto: Good nutrition doesn’t stop with retirement.
- The kitchen staff at Sun Tower is dedicated to the wants and needs of all our residents. We feel that proper nutrition comes from an overall balance of the basic four food groups. Our goal is food that is appealing, appetizing, and down home good.
- We closely monitor what’s eaten and constantly ask for input from our residents, then design our menus from that information.
Diets and Menus:
- We offer both regular and limited special diet meals according to the individual’s needs. Our food service personnel are well skilled in making sure the proper foods are available to those with special needs.
- Our meals are certified by a Registered Dietitian to meet 1/3 of the RDA for an adult.
- Sun Tower staff and residents are proud of our many dinner guests. This shows us that the people who live here are happy to bring in family and friends to share their warm home style atmosphere, friendly staff members, and good food. Guest dinner’s $7.00 Monday – Saturday. $8.00 for Sundays & Holidays. $10.00 for Buffets.
- Each passing year shows a guest list with numbers exceeding the year before. We can almost always make room for our invited guests on very short notice.
- Our food service operation fully supports all events happening at Sun Tower. We help the residents in charge of annual events such as our Christmas, Halloween, and Valentine Parties. We provide cake and cupcakes for our monthly birthday celebration saluting those whose birthdays fall in that month.
- As a specialty, we offer a Christmas buffet shortly before the holidays so all of our residents may enjoy the event before leaving to visit relatives.
- In late summer, we have our annual summer buffet, but with sit down dining service available for any resident needing special attention.
- Our staff members love to participate in the special food events at Sun Tower.
It is very rewarding to see the looks of joy and sincere appreciation on the faces of our residents and their families/friends.
The Costs For Retirement At Sun Tower:
The rental rates (which range from $414. to $945. depending on location and type of unit) include all utilities: electric heat, air conditioning, water, and garbage service. In addition, a Security deposit equal to one month’s rent and a deposit of $2.25 for two keys is required.
A. Studio—————$455 per month
B. Center Bedroom—$598 per month
C. Corner Bedroom—$622 per month
D. Deluxe Bedroom—$912 per month
A. Studio—————-$520 per month
B. Center Bedroom—-$644 per month
C. Corner Bedroom—-$668 per month
D. Deluxe Bedroom —$1,040 per month
Additional cost of $210.00 per month for Evening Meal at Sun Tower.